Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Creativity and New Media



            New media fosters creativity and virtual worlds, such as Second Life, are one of many examples of such technologies. In Second Life, users are given the opportunity to play as avatars and explore new experiences in a virtual representation of reality. Users are able to live a new life through their avatars as they are able to explore the different settings, socialize and trade with other users, customize their avatars, and participate in group activities. In order to gain a better understanding of virtual worlds, I created an avatar for myself within Second Life. Immediately after logging in, users are offered several, different presets for their avatar's appearance. After choosing an avatar, you are immediately placed into the virtual world and you can see many other new users exploring the area around you. As you progress further into the virtual world, you are able to change your appearance as you'd like and access the marketplace to trade and obtain new customization to modify the avatar as you desire.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jordan,

    I created a Second Life avatar as well. My coolest experience was being able to customize my avatar as well. You can make your avatar look like you, someone you wish you were, or even mysterious beasts. I also found it really cool how I saw other players and I could interact with them right from the get-go.

    ReplyDelete